Sprint at CERN: things got done!

Whhoooo! Almost one week before I only gave a thought to write this post.
Reading myself again, I think I have to much to say… Let’s split so that you don’t get (too much) bored 🙂

The sprint

This sprint was my first meeting with KDE contributors. I broke the first rule my parents told me about internet: “Do never meet the people you are chatting with on the web!”. Anyway it was a really, really good experience.

We had good food (thank you W2L!), we had a lot of noise (thank you W2L!), and we had a productive team (thank you @alexmerry, @fringing and @rharisch!).

As I already wrote in previous posts, my team was working on reorganizing and updating Techbase [1].
When we planned this we decided do focus on this wiki only. But nothing worked as planned…we just did a lot more!

First steps

KDE operates three wikis:

If the content of the first one was really easy to define, it wasn’t so clear what should go to community and techbase. Our first goal was to define a clear and precise line to discriminate the content of the two other wikis.

Defining this line took us not less than 2 (two!) days. We thought in term of Who is the target of this wiki? and had a lot of discussions about specific and borderline cases. We talked on IRC to get second views and see if our ideas where reasonable. We ended with these presentation texts (see [2]):

Techbase.kde.org is primarily aimed at external developers.
It provides documentation and help for developers building on or extending KDE products in their own projects.

Community.kde.org is the working area for the KDE community.
It provides a place for sharing information within the community, including policies, guidelines and coordination.

I’ll come back to this in a dedicated post in a few time… You already can read some details on this on Alex’s blog [3].

Hard work with moving pages…

When our ideas were clearer, we began to follow our new rules and reorganize the wikis for real. We realized that most of the pages in Techbase were belonging to Community, and that we had thus to work hard on Community as well.

This wouldn’t have been possible without @neverendingo and @nicolas17 who gave us temporary more rights on Community and Techbase, helped us to massively move pages and replace them by links to the new position and so on…

We are not completely done, but please let us know if you don’t find something… We might have forgotten some links.. You can already go on the wiki to see how it is slowly changing (for the best!).

I’ll be back with more info later!

Cheers and have fun!

What we did this week wouldn’t have been possible without the support of KDE e.V. Consider supporting it!
Via Paypal for one-time donations
Become an ongoing supporter and official supporting member

Links

[1] https://techbase.kde.org
[2] https://wiki.kde.org
[3] https://randomguy3.wordpress.com/2016/03/08/wiki-reorganisation/

1 comment

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.